Monday, April 27, 2009

Hope Does Not Disappoint

Mother’s Day is coming soon. Four years ago, after many months of talking and praying as a family, we decided to adopt a daughter from China. We did paperwork – lots of paperwork. Kyle and I picked out some furniture for her room. I picked out bedding and a color for the walls of her room. I bought books about China, about adoption, about Chinese adoption. I bought her a Christmas stocking. She has gotten gifts in it for the past 2 Christmases.

But as the wait lengthened, my doubts began to creep to the surface. Maybe we were wrong. Maybe it wasn’t God’s plan. I already knew it didn’t make sense to start over as parents with a child in high school (Torey was 15 at the time) but laughingly told people that ‘God’s plans don’t have to make sense.’ But a child in COLLEGE?!? And a marriage that was going through a rough period? And, most recently, a set of family crises that have led Kyle and I to question our life choices at every level? And a husband who, given our circumstances, now articulates worry that we could afford the adoption fees or to provide for her if we were able to bring her home? What was I supposed to do?

I recently had two dreams of my Chinese daughter. I never actually saw her in either but the idea of her presence was palpable. In the first, I was in a grocery store buying formula meant for her. Some days later, I dreamt again. This time, she was in the hospital for some reason. I am not sure if it was for a surgery or treatment of some illness. I was genuinely puzzled by what my dream self did. I found every excuse not to go to the hospital. I let Kyle handle making all the trips to admit her, check on her progress, etc. I wandered about, filling my time with unimportant and non-urgent things but kept calling to check in on her. Finally, just before I woke up, I went to the hospital and made my way to her floor. I walked up to the nurse’s station and asked where her room was. The nurse replied, “So, YOU’RE Mrs. McDaniel. We were wondering when you’d be able to get here.” There was no judgment in her voice, only recognition. As if they’d heard a lot about me and believed it was perfectly reasonable for my daughter to be the hospital and for me to have something –anything – more important to do than be right by her side. As if a mother could stay away for any reason. I am not sure if I realized within the dream or after waking that I was guarding my heart in case she didn’t survive. I believed that if I didn’t meet her, it would be easier to let her go. That isn’t real love. It is only self interest.

I now see that this is how I have gotten through the waiting that began Mother’s Day 2005. Instead of grieving deeply that she isn’t yet here and praying regularly that God would bring her soon, I have spent the last few years protecting my heart in case she isn’t really going to come. I have been afraid to pray because I would have to open my heart to her to do so. I have talked about her to others as little as possible because I have feared we would realize we weren’t called or able to adopt. Was I worried about losing face? Or asking others to pray for something that wasn’t God’s will in the first place? Or protecting myself from talking about her so that I wouldn’t have to think about her? Yes. That is what is inside me, motivating me. It is ugly and it is embarrassing.

It is time to stop playing it safe with her. It is time to tell people about her and ask them to pray she’ll come soon. It is time to believe and hope again. It is time to learn to trust God when His ways terrify me. It is time for my second daughter to come home. Come soon, little Camille.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Praying for Camille! There will be much rejoicing when she comes home!!! Praying for your hope to increase! I love you, Kyle, Torey, and Camille!

dreamingBIGdreams said...

Thanks for sharing your honest feelings. They can always help someone in this process. We are adding you guys to our prayer box right now and will begin to pray for your daughter to come home SOON!

Anne Smith said...

Thanks for sharing and I know God is using every prayer and will continue to birth Camille in your life. He has a specific purpose for her in a specific time with a specific set of peers. He's already holding her in his hand. How amazing is that? Nothing you don't already know... I've learned that the hardest things are there not so we will give up on them, but so we will lean into Him more. Keep leaning!

our family said...

still on our knees praying that Camille will come home soon. we love you so much and are always here praying for the entire mcdaniel family ... and are most definitely in your corner.

much love,
leslie for the pecks

Jen said...

come home soon we pray.

Malissa P. said...

Confessing your 'sins' one to another opens the door to freedom. That was brave and honest of you to share. Bless you! What God has planted in your heart will bear fruit!
May the Lord Bless you and keep you!
Malissa

Sarah said...

Long time no talk, Terra! I guess 5,000 miles can (sadly) do that. We think of you guys often, and you, Camille, and your entire family are in our prayers.

susan said...

Thank you for sharing so openly. You & Kyle are such an example of God's strength and His character to me. I will pray for Camille to come home soon! Thank you for the opportunity.

Anonymous said...

I really related to this! What you said about ungaurded love challenged me. With my own adoption I have taken a posture of protection - not for my little girl, but for myself. Thank you for reminding me to love her completely, even if it means that I will be hurt in the end.

Michelle said...

come home soon, little one